About The Pointe at Salt Ponds
2019 Salt Ponds POA Committee
Juergen Baumbach - President
Karen Davis - Vice-President
Fred Mitchell - Treasurer
Mike Castello - Secretary
Wayne McPhail - Director
Paige Williams - Director
The Committee meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 7:00 PM at Calvary Assembly of God, 1380 Mallory Street, Hampton, Va.
Buckroe Beach History
Buckroe Beach is one of the oldest recreational regions in Virginia. In 1619, the "Buck Roe" Plantation was designated for public use for the newly arrived English settlers of the Virginia Company of London. In 1620, the London Company sent Frenchmen there to teach the colonists grape and silkworm culture. By 1637, however, Buck Roe Plantation had joined the rest of the colony as a tobacco field.
Buckroe was used as a fishing camp until after the American Civil War. At the urging of community leader Harrison Phoebus, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway built by Collis Huntington extended its tracks to the area in 1882. A boarding house for summer visitors was opened by Civil War widow of Joseph Bowers Herbert, Mrs. Mary Ann Dobbins Herbert, in 1883, and the next year a public bath house was built and tourists were brought in horse-drawn carriages. In 1897, a local entrepreneur extended his electric trolley car line to Buckroe, opened a hotel, a pavilion for dancing and an amusement park.
The amusement park and adjacent public beach were popular destinations for social outings in the late 19th and first half of the 20th centuries.
Until World War II the C&O had summer excursion service to Buckroe, using its tracks and trolley tracks from Phoebus to Buckroe. With a growing number of visitors, including servicemen and their families from Fort Monroe and Langley Field (now Langley AFB) during World War II, the beach area was increasingly built up and eventually annexed to Hampton in 1952. Due to the nature of progress and technology, the amusement park closed in 1985 and was torn down in 1991. It has been replaced with large open green space areas with an events pavilion and children's playground areas
However, the Buckroe Beach Carousel and its Bruder band organ were preserved and relocated to the downtown Hampton waterfront area where it is a popular attraction to this day. The only remaining relic from the amusement park that is still standing at Buckroe is the functioning lighthouse from the miniature golf course.
The popular Buckroe Beach fishing pier was destroyed during Hurricane Isabel in 2003. The pier was rebuilt by the city of Hampton and opened for business on May 30, 2009. The pier is known for its cobia fishing.